Awarding of the Oleksandr Polivodskyi Scholarship in 2023
In August 2023, the Charitable Foundation was established in honor of Oleksandr Polivodskyi, a Ukrainian legal expert, attorney, scientist and lecturer, who made a significant contribution to the development of agrarian and land law legislation and its practical application. The foundation aims to support Ukrainian law students who are studying and contributing to the advancement of agrarian, land, and environmental law.
From the early days of the full-scale russian war against Ukraine, Oleksandr Polivodskyi defended Ukraine as a territorial defense fighter and later as a member of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. Oleksandr tragically lost his life in April 2023, at the border of the Luhansk and Donetsk regions, while carrying out a combat mission and rescuing an injured comrade. By the decree of the President of Ukraine dated 4 August 2023, in recognition of his personal courage demonstrated in defending the state’s sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, his dedicated performance of military duty, Junior Sergeant Oleksandr Polivodskyi was posthumously awarded the Order of “For Courage” of the III degree.
On 10 October 2023, a meeting of the scholarship commission was held to award the Oleksandr Polivodskyi Scholarship. The Commission included:
- Stanislava Polivodska – Chair of the Board of the Oleksandr Polivodskyi, Charitable Foundation, Chair of the Scholarship Commission;
- Victor Kobylanskyi – Chairman of the Committee of the Ukrainian National Bar Association (UNBA) on Agrarian, Land, and Environmental Law;
- Sofia Shutak – Deputy Chair of the UNBA Committee on Agrarian, Land, and Environmental Law;
- Dmytro Navrotskyi – Deputy Chair of the UNBA Committee on Agrarian, Land, and Environmental Law;
- Serhiy Chorny – Managing Partner of Baker McKenzie Ukraine.
This year, the commission received 5 works for consideration in the scholarship competition. During the discussion, commission members noted the high academic level of all the submitted works and their authors. They also thoroughly discussed each work presented by the participants for the scholarship.
As a result of the discussion and voting, the commission concluded that the scholarship named after Oleksandr Polivodskyi in 2023 should be awarded to the work co-authored by students of the Faculty of Law of Lesya Ukrainka Volyn National University, N. Kolesnychenko and N. Kobernyuk. The topic of their work is “Review of Changes for Subjects of Agrarian Law under Ukrainian Law No. 1914-IX.”